background

Friday, April 13, 2012

Patience: fake it til ya make it


As a teenager, I always thought that I had a ton of patience and that I was one of the most patient people I knew, I was obviously really humble too. Teenagers are awesome that way. The truth is, I knew jack about being patient and to this day, I still don't. I think that life teaches us patience.

I recently attended a get-together with a bunch of other women at my church where we had a little lesson/discussion on patience. It couldn't have been better timed because it was all I needed to hear that day. It was one of the those days. You know, the ones that you lock yourself in the pantry with a box a thin mints to try to talk yourself out of crying/screaming/throwing things. Although I spent most of the time during the discussion in tears feeling like a failure, I felt renewed. It's sure nice to know that in some way or another, we are all in the same boat, and misery LOVES company, right?? Seriously though, isn't it so nice when you find out that you aren't the only one that struggles with certain things? Anyway, there were so many great things that were discussed but the thing that really struck me was when the question was asked, "When it comes to patience, is it okay to fake it?" My answer to this is a giant "Heck to the YES!" I feel like when it really is time to be patient, that is all I do... fake it.

Patience feels like it's something that always takes great effort. Once I need to be patient, I'm already loosing it and have to work hard to act that way. I guess I'm just a very impatient person. I'm sure my dear children would agree. There are many times that I look at them and with my teeth grit trying not to scream and  I say, "I know I'm not yelling right now, but I want to. You have used up all the patience I have so will you please________." Scooby probably hears this from me more than the others, I swear he can't hear my voice unless I'm yelling or at least doesn't think I'm serious until I do.

So I fake it A LOT, and I'm okay with that because I try the best I can and very slowly, I'm getting better. That's the only way to live without regrets, to keep trying and trying again until I get it right. So do what works for you but  for me, when it comes to being patient: I fake it until I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment