background

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A bit more back story

Scooby calls me "mom." We never asked or told him to, NEVER. In fact he did this all on his own and I can't even remember a time that I noticed him change from calling me by my first name to calling me "mom." I do remember the time frame though. A while after we got married Scooby's other mom went for a drive with some friends and didn't come home. We didn't hear from her for a year and it was only after she was forced into a rehab program that she contacted us. Scooby was really small at the time. He really couldn't remember her. We had moved to a new area and other people would refer to me as "mom" to him. He also had a new little sister that knew me as mom. I was the mom in our house and so, naturally, he started to call me such. Of course his other mom was irate when she discovered this but Scooby is a smart boy and he figured out how to balance this all on his own. To my, he calls me mom and her by her first name. To her, he calls her mom and me by my first name. This works for us, for the most part.

A little while back, I read a discussion online that was started by a mom that was upset by her child calling his step mom "mom." Many biological mothers chimed in on how "terribly disrespectful" this was. It got crazy and heated. A few step-moms would try to give their opinion and were immediately hounded for anything they would say, for or against what the other mom's would say. I get that in most cases there are two groups: moms and step-moms. Usually they don't get along great. Children stir wild emotions in women... but I just have to add for any haters out there...

In the words of my hilarious sister-in-law, "DON'T. YOU. JUDGE. ME!" I'm just picking up the hand someone else was dealt, adding it to my hand, and doing the best I can.

1 comment:

  1. I love that description at the end! It's so true. I have to give props to any step-parent out there, it's not easy.

    ReplyDelete